Thursday, September 23, 2010

My best Twilight interpretation

I grew up in a small Texas town, which means I can probably out-cuss, out-shoot and out-drink half of the female population. Whatever wild antics happened to most in college, I probably dabbled in by the time I was 17. We were raised to be unknowing tomboys, but dreamed of running away from our town to be true girlie girls. I'm just saying, I used to have to drive 20 miles to go to the nearest Target....which was the holy grail of girlie smelling products of my youth (Bath and Body Works was a pipe dream not showing up until I was 17 and college-bound). I still have clear memories of this citrus body spray from Target that I covetted and begged my mother to purchase - in my mother's world, dove soap and oil of olay facial lotion is enough of a scent, citrus body spray was too enticing for young hormonal boys for me to actually own.

So despite my current smart-ass, urban, young professional lifestyle - I have a disturbing soft spot for any type of overly sweet bath/shower product. I have a collection of items ranging from Target to L'Occitane, ranging from borderline sickening cotton candy smells to elegant locally made lavenders. So one day, as I was doing a quick shopping trip at Macy's, I noticed the Lush cosmetics area was having a sale.

For those not in the know, Lush Cosmetics is all naturally hand made products that focus on how environmentally friendly and non-animal testing they are. I started perusing some items and finally settled on their 'Porridge" and "Honey I Washed the Kids" soap and a bath bomb. Now, the bath bomb reminded me of the bath fizzies I used to get for Christmas back in the 90's, so clearly I had to purchase. Now, I love the soaps, they are gentle and leave a nice refreshing smell...are they worth $35/lb...no, but my pieces were both about $7 a piece and I was willing to test them out for effectiveness. But our true focus should be this bath bomb.

I won't lie. It smelled like heaven. Deliciously soft, slightly sweat pea-ish. So, last night being a Wednesday, seemed like a good enough of a reason to use it. I fill my tub and throw the bomb in...I did like the fizzing of the bomb (I had flashbacks of my grandparents drinking Alka-Seltzer)and the pink and blue colors of the bomb developed an interesting shade of grape kool-aid colored water. So in I hop and enjoy a nice scented bath of happiness while reading a new book (Kay Hooper's Blood Ties). All in all, not a bad hump day ending.

Then, as I'm drying off, I see myself glistening like Edward Cullen...wait...what?! I do a double take and start scrubbing a little harder with my towel. Um...apparently in the center of my lovely girlie smelling gift from the heavens was some irridescent glitter. I glance into my bathtub and notice it too is shimmering as if Lisa Frank designed it. Mind you, this was around 7pm last night (yes, early, I know, but I was anticipating a great Criminal Minds season premiere so I had to indulge early). In my brain , I assumed it would all flake off in the night between my pj's and all the manic tossing and turning I do at night.

This is my collar bone at 10am....at work...trying to be all professional and chatting with Gods people about their websites.... Awesome :-/

1 comment: