Monday, November 15, 2010

Curse you Bacon!

My friend Amy has been raving about the quality of the meats at a local butcher shop. Please note, I am not much of a meat eater, the stars have to align for me to really crave a steak, but I love the idea of getting fresh and local poultry and grew up having bacon and freshly ground hamburger from my grandparents butcher in El Campo. So Saturday morning, I weeble wobble into the store. It really was a mecca of meat. They were actually butchering a pig behind the counter. Please note, I'm from Texas y'all, so the concept of seeing this wasn't a distraction as much as heartwarming to know that shops still do this.

I looked around the counter and ended up buying 6 local quail (my favorite bird), a pound of ground buffalo....and half a pound of bacon *looks away*. There's something about that bacon that just called to me. I've been cooking 3 slices of the bacon, and making a sandwich out of Arnold's Sandwich Thins, lots of spinach, lots of tomato and a horseradish sour cream. My side has been baby carrots. I've had it twice since Saturday.

I've also successfully cooked food at home for 3 days straight, starting each day with a green monster smoothie. The y keep me energized all the way to lunch, which is shocking. Normally 9:30 a.m. rolls around and I'm starving.

I even brought lunch with me to work - I made deconstructed sushi. Basically, I made sushi rice, sliced some cucumbers, carrots and avocados, added some leftover bbq (for a Texas twist, I guess) and a splash of rice wine vinegar. It's delicious. Next time I'm going to switch it out for brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment